Old Köwerich ferry

Trier Harbour between 1953 and today – a moving history


1953 The European conference passes the canalisation project to turn the Moselle into a waterway.
1956 Agreement on rendering the Moselle navigable for 1500 t ships between the Federal Republic of Germany, France and Luxembourg.
Top: Opening of the new lock in Trier. From left: Grand-Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, German Federal President Heinrich Lübke, and French President Charles de Gaulle.
1957The Trier Valley planning community produces a site survey for the construction of a public harbour.
1958Trier county council agrees to the project for a commercial port at Trier-Pfalzel.
1962Foundation of the Trierer Hafengesellschaft mbH. The company is jointly owned by the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate, the city of Trier, Trier district and the municipalities of Ehrang and Pfalzel.

Foundation of "TRILAG" – Trierer Umschlags- und Lagerhausgesellschaft mbH, now the Schenker company.

Establishment of the special purpose association for "Business Development on the Territory of Trier Harbour".
1963Ground-breaking ceremony for the construction of Trier Harbour.
1964Harbour recognised as an intervention and trading centre for cereals and animal feed.
Opening of the Moselle shipping route

Establishment of the Zettelmayer company, later Pfalz-Mosel-Mischwerke GmbH & Co. KG, now Basalt AG
The opening ceremony and invited guests.
1965 

Opening of Trier industrial harbour following a two-year construction period.

Carrying a load of gravel, M/S "Wilhelm Droste" is the first transshipment business to run into the harbour.

View of the harbour in 1977.
1969 


Law on the Joint Programme for the Improvement of Regional Economic Structures is passed.

Opening of the tank depot of the Boger mineral oil company. Today it is managed by "Trevitank".
1970 Opening of the Michelin-Reifenwerke-AG tyre plant and the steel works of Moselstahlwerk.
1971 Opening of the packaging plant of Mead Verpackung GmbH.
1973 

Opening of a scrap and metal processing plant.

1977 The company Theo Steil GmbH acquires the scrap and metal processing plant.
1983 Extension of state road B53 to better connect Trier Harbour.
1988 Opening of the Vanck company.
View of the harbour in 2002.
1993Transshipments reach around 980,000 t, the highest level to date.
1995Construction of the Güterverkehrszentrum Trier freight centre commences.
1997Establishment of Trierer Container Terminal GmbH
1998Opening of the trimodal container terminal
Opening of the company AVK, now Eu-Rec plast GmbH
2002The Steil company erects the shredding plant.
Luxport S. A. accepted as a shareholder in Trierer Container Terminal GmbH.
The harbour company celebrates the 40th anniversary of its existence.
Ground-breaking ceremony for the expansion of the West Quay in 2011.
2003 Extension of the harbour basin – creation of a new transshipment point.
2005 

The harbour company branches out into rentals of logistics real estate. On-water transshipments exceed the million-ton mark for the first time with around 1,085,000 t.

2011 

Work commences on the extension of the West Quay and the additional 22,000 m² transshipment area.
Completion of the first new lock basin in Zeltingen.

Expansion of the Trier Harbour basin in 2012
2012Completion of the transshipment area and the West Quay. Trier Harbour celebrates its 50th anniversary.
201450th anniversary of the Moselle shipping route.